A slip and fall accident is likely one of the worst things to have to go through at any age. The amount of damage your body can take from impact is certainly not favorable, and it can also mean high medical bills in the future. But oftentimes these accidents are not your fault, and should be treated as such. If you’ve fallen victim to one of these incidents, you might be asking what your next step is, and who you should speak to. Below are a few things to note, especially when it comes to fault in the situation.
There are different aspects of a slip and fall that must be proven in order to receive compensation for the accident. These include:
- A failure by the owner of the premesis to notice themselves causing either the spill, torn spot or dangerous surface.
- Neglecting to do anything about the surface after knowing it was there.
- The owner would have known about the dangerous surface because someone who was taking care of their property would have discovered it and taken care of it.
This falls under the general category of negligence, and if the owner made attempts to keep the property safe and clean. This involves a number of things that are not limited to:
- A dangerous area that had been there long enough for the owner to know about.
- If the owner conducted a routine check for the premesis to ensure that nothing was dangerous, and if a work repair order was being created.
- Was there a barrier protecting you from the area in question, if the owner knew about it?
If these sound like a situation you’ve been involved in, it might be time to consult with a lawyer about exploring your options in receiving damages owed. One thing to remember is that swift action is very necessary, and it’s something that can help bring you what you deserve.
Founded in 2000, Gaines, Novick, Ponzini, Cossu & Venditti, LLP brings together a group of highly qualified attorneys focused on serving the legal needs of individuals, businesses and municipalities throughout New York, Connecticut and the surrounding areas. For appellate cases, we have a number of attorneys that specialize in the specific fields you may be looking for.