Medical malpractice lawsuits are perhaps one of the most important and serious cases you can ever be involved in. These cases revolve around mistakes during procedure than can lead to pain, suffering, serious injury and sometimes death. Due to the nature of these situations and what it can mean for you or a loved one, an attorney is extremely necessary for a situation in which the malpractice occurs. If you’re still unaware of how common or serious these cases can be, take a look below at some statistics that paint a better picture of medical malpractice and lawsuits.
- Medical Malpractice payouts for the year 2016 topped almost $4 Billion across the U.S.
- In New York state alone, payouts topped over $300 Million!
- The allegations were split at the top, where diagnosis accounted for 31%, surgery 23%, and treatment 20%.
- 30% of the malpractice cases in the U.S. which warranted a payout were due to a death, with significant permanent injury, brain damage accounting for 18% each.
- Brain damage, quadriplegia, and lifelong care yielded the highest payout, at just over $1M per case.
Some of these stats might seem very high, and it might sound like a good idea to contact an attorney if you think you have a case — and it is! Because of the growing need for perfection in a medical situation, the margin for error is so small, and can lead to death or permanent injury. If you feel as if you have a case worth fighting, make sure you’re equipped with the right team to handle your case and win you the money you so rightfully deserve.
Founded in 2000, Gaines, Novick, Ponzini, Cossu & Venditti, LLP brings together a group of highly qualified attorneys focused on serving the legal needs of individuals, businesses and municipalities throughout New York, Connecticut and the surrounding areas.
For appellate cases, we have a number of attorneys that specialize in the specific fields you may be looking for. To learn more about our firm, please click here to see a summary of our practice areas, or contact us at 914-288-9595 or by filling out this online form today.